c# - Is the Windows dev environment worth the cost? -


I've recently taken steps for Windows development from Linux development. And as much as I'm a Linux enthusiast, I have to say - C # is a beautiful language, Visual Studio is great, and now when I bought myself, my wrist has hurt a lot using the mouse.

But there is one thing that I can not get past: costs. Windows 7, Visual Studio, SQL Server, Expression Blend, VEME, Telec, MSDN - We are talking about thousands of developers for each project! You are definitely doing something for your money - my question is, what is its value? [Every developer does not need all the above-mentioned devices - but have you ever heard of someone writing a C # code without a studio? I have paid without having to pay any development tool to Linux software on huge software projects.]

Now, obviously, if you already have a Windows shop, then it's all developed doer. And if you want to develop the Windows desktop app, then you can not do this in Linux. But if you were starting a new web application project and you can hire developers, what you want, then whatever language you are specializing in, still do you still have to use Windows as your development platform Can you choose? And if so, why?


UPDATE: I did not intend to start any argument. And I received some valuable insight from replies / comments:

  1. The cost of setting up a Dev environment in Windows is not that big.
  2. Dev environment is actually just one drop in the bucket compared to the cost of developers (though it does not help a small startup or freelance programmer).

The tool's price is smaller than you own developers Spend on. For example, most of the equipment you mentioned includes, which runs approximately $ 800 / year.

The real question is whether you get any benefit from that cost or not. It's hard to answer, and I suspect that your developers are dependent on what kind of software you are developing, like answering a blanket is impossible, however, noticeable difference between the two from the employer's point of view is.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

windows - Heroku throws SQLITE3 Read only exception -

lex - Building a lexical Analyzer in Java -

python - rename keys in a dictionary -